Thursday 12 December 2013

Hold on. Your driver's licence says your name is "Wotan".


Greetings and salutations.
I know it's been a little while, but don't worry, I'm still here.
I've been hugely unmotivated the last couple of weeks, so it took me a while to get this one done.
Also, I'm learning exactly how well I deal with stress, which apparently is "OK, but not great. Could use some improvement".
It's fine though. A mild but persistent feeling of panic is just part of being an adult, right?

So, Odin eh?
I haven't seen the latest Thor movie, so I don't know if they've explained Odin's pimp eye patch.
It doesn't matter though, because you are now equipped with this magical knowledge.
Feel free to go forth and spread this new found wisdom.
It's ok. I'll wait.

---

Ah, there you are. Where was I? Oh that's right.
I once worked on a fancy animated version of the Ring Cycle (a.k.a. I Love Wotan) which is where I first heard about Odin's freaky eye thing.
I asked why Wotan (Odin) had an eye missing, and I was told 'he was told that if he pulled out one of his eyes he would gain wisdom'
and I said "that sounds like exactly the type of thing you could persuade a stupid person to do".

For the record, I love old mythology, so I don't mean to be rude to poor old Odin.
At least he has a cool beard and hat to make up for a lack of depth perception.

Feeling quite clever enough with his two eyes, thank you very much,
~King Longburns.

P.S. The animation that I worked on was not in any way actually called "I Love Wotan".